Tight Knit Softball Team Primed For Bright Future

Photo Courtesy of Coach Collier

The Lady Bulldogs after their Graham tournament.

Kaylee Beard, Staff Writer

Wylie varsity softball has finished yet another successful season. The team finished district in a three way tie for first place which led to the team’s third straight appearance in the playoffs. Senior Shelby Russell, junior Halle Arbilera, and sophomore Kaylee Philipp all gave us insight about their close knit team.

Photo Courtesy of Mikey Le Vieux
Shortstop Kylie Barnes hitting against the Brownwood Lady Lions.

Philipp said, “Our goal was to finish district strong, and work super hard to go as far as we could together.”

The Lady Bulldogs started district with two tough losses to Brownwood and Big Spring but fought their way to a three way tie for first in district at five and three. The Bulldogs ended up getting the third seed for the playoffs.

“I really love the competitiveness of the game and coming together to defeat a team that we battled hard against,” said Russell.

This year’s team consisted of two seniors, right fielder Shelby Russell and manager Mikey Le Vieux. Russell was a four year varsity letterman, and Le Vieux was the manager for three years. This year’s team also added three freshman to this year’s varsity lineup: shortstop Kylie Barnes, left fielder Cortney House, and catcher Minely Avila. The team also was comprised of three juniors and seven sophomores.

“The team atmosphere is phenomenal,” said Arbilera. “This is the most tight knit team I have ever been a part of.”

The team may have been young and inexperienced, but you couldn’t tell by the way they played on the field. Every player emphasized the passion the team has for the game and how everyone being in a different classification didn’t matter.

Photo Courtesy of Coach Collier
The team visiting the lake during their tournament in Granbury.

Russell said, “This team has fantastic chemistry and gets along really well. We do not have little cliques or anyone who is left out. We all laugh together, and ultimately we are all each other’s best friends.”

Next year’s team looks to expand upon this year’s fantastic season that was cut short by a first round playoff loss to Vernon. There is a lot to look forward to from this young group of close knit teammates.

“We have come so far together, and we always have each other’s backs,” said Arbilera. “I wouldn’t trade this team for the world. These girls definitely have a special place in my heart.”