• November 12Thanksgiving break will commence with a shortened day on Tuesday, November 20th

• November 5Thanksgiving Basket collection has begun! Bring listed food items to your homeroom by Wednesday!

Teacher Spotlight: Coach Powell

More stories from Kobe George

Running for Gold
November 6, 2018

Adapting to change can sometimes present itself as a struggle, but Wylie has made the transition to 5A as smooth as possible, especially with the addition of many new faculty members. Multiple teachers and coaches are new faces to Wylie this year, and they too are doing whatever they can to fulfill the tradition of excellence that resides in this school district. One coach in particular, Coach Powell, is ready to take on the jump to 5A and make her time here at Wylie successful, both on and off the court.

Powell was born in Hawaii, but was raised in Hurst, Texas; there she attended L.D. Bell High School and played point guard on the basketball team. After graduation, she spent a year at Texas A&M playing basketball and then transferred to ACU where she majored in biology.

Powell started teaching at Bonham Junior High in Temple ISD. She was there for a total of four years, three at the junior high and one at the high school.

Shortly after, she and her family moved to Hallettsville, Texas where she coached for eight years at Sacred Heart Catholic School. Staying in South Texas, she then taught algebra at Hallettsville High School for the past six years.

Now Powell is back in Abilene and she, as well as her family, is very excited. “We have always loved Abilene, and here we are twenty-five years after college.”

At Wylie, Powell teaches biology and coaches girls basketball. “I really like Wylie,” she said, “the people here are different, different in a good way, and I like the opportunities kids are presented with here.”

Coaching was always her subject of interest, especially because of her love for sports. She is very ecstatic to coach girls basketball, and she and her team are hoping to make a long run this season. “With coaching, it becomes more about the relationships you build with your kids that become more valuable than basketball itself.”

Not only is Powell having to transition as a coach, but as well as a teacher. She hasn’t taught biology in twenty years, and she is “learning to get back in the groove with labs and such.” Even though this presents a set of challenges, she is excited about the opportunities and experiences she gets in the classroom.

Most importantly, she wants to influence the students. As a military student and a twelve-year cancer survivor, she understands what some people go through, and she wants to inspire them in whatever walk of life they are at for years to come. Her proudest moment as a teacher/coach is when former students invite her to their weddings or baby showers. “It is those years down the road that you look back on,” Powell said, “hoping that you made a difference.”