• October 15Don your capes and call your sidekick for Superhero dress-up day this Wednesday!

• October 15Get out your antennas for Alien Spirit day this Tuesday!

• October 1Homecoming week is October 15th through the 19th and will be wrapped up with the Homecoming game on Friday!

Light It Up Blue

The one-act cast celebrates Autism Awareness Month

Anna Claire Boone, Staff Writer

Ed Boone (Jared VosWinkel), Christopher Boone (Corban Gilliland), Judy Boone (Olivia McCain), and the ensemble in the opening scene.

As some may know, April is Autism Awareness Month. Many families and organizations are in spirits of celebration this month, and the Wylie High School one-act play company is definitely feeling those spirits. For the past three months, the cast and crew – who are just coming off of their advancement from area to region – have been hard at work on their production of Mark Haddon’s Pulitzer prize winning play The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.

Christopher (Gilliland) in one of his fits.

This show tells the story of a teenage boy and his family as the boy tries to solve the mystery of a murdered dog on his street. The boy, Christopher, has Asperger’s syndrome, and many of the obstacles Christopher faces are centered around his struggle to connect with the world and people around him. The cast and crew of Curious Incident have put forth continuous effort to accurately represent the life and symptoms of a person with a Sensory Processing Disorder, and have, in the process, become more educated on the matter and more appreciative of people struggling with a disorder on the SPD spectrum.

Gilliland and the ensemble in a scene.

Three members of the company – actor Corban Gilliland, actor Eric Evans, and assistant director Jaclyn Rosbrugh – give their take on how autism has affected their own lives, what it’s been like to work in a show that handles this subject matter, and why this story is so important for audiences to see in this interview.

Video filmed and edited by Anna Claire Boone. Production video credit to Kymber Pyeatt.

Gilliland and Evans with alternate Mattie Smith in rehearsals.

Members of the one-act play company have each been seen with autism awareness pins over their hearts when attending the awards ceremonies that follow competitions, and many will wear blue throughout this month in support of the “Light It Up Blue” awareness promotion movement. We encourage you to join us in this movement by looking into learning a little bit about the autism spectrum, attending Wylie’s home performance of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, or simply wearing blue this month.

Photo credit to Kymber Pyeatt.