Wylie Ag

Sadie Mae Todd, staff writer

When you think about the spring semester, your mind might go straight to sports, but what if I told you there was so much more than that? The Wylie Agricultural Department does a lot during the second semester of the school year. From animal showing to CDE competitions, your Ag classes do it all.

During the month of January and into the beginnings of February, Ag students were off showing their animals at various events. Those animals include rabbits, pigs, cows, goats, and sheep. In the months leading up to these shows, students will spend most of their time taking care of their respective animals and making sure they are in the best shape they can be. When the shows finally arrive, the competitors will finally see if all their hard work has paid off. Wylie had many top ranking students in this year’s shows, and we can’t wait to see what happens next year.

As the months progress towards the end of the school year you might be anticipating summer, but Ag students are anticipating CDE competitions starting up. CDEs, or career development events, help students learn and explore their interests in a competitive way. Some of these events include horticulture, horse judging, poultry judging, and many more. Competitors will study their material for months until the events start, each team hoping to make state. They’ll spend hours taking practice tests hoping to perfect their scores and secure their win.

Wylie Ag deserves a lot more credit than it is given after winter break, so next year when the spring semester rolls around, just remember all the hard work that your friends could be putting in while you focus on your activities.