Tennis: More Than a Sport

Kolby Corbett, staff writer

Out of the many programs that have been formed in Wylie schools, many have been extremely successful. Whether in academics, sports, theater, choir, band, or many other extracurricular activities, students have excelled. One program, however, has stood the test of time and has cemented itself as one of the most successful programs Wylie has ever made: tennis. A year-long sport, played both as a part of a team and individually, tennis has been cherished by Wylie students for decades. It’s not hard to see either- posters of the teams that have made state line the walls of our Doghouse, representing the legendary teams our school has had over the years. The impact the program has had on these kids is priceless.

“Tennis has been a huge part of my life the last 6 years or so. Through it, I’ve lived some of the best memories I have, developed some of my most impactful relationships, and learned some foundational life lessons,” stated senior Connor Brown, who has played tennis for Wylie throughout high school. He, along with the other seniors, have been state finalists, playing at A&M to compete with the best Texas has to offer. The relationships made in sports have been proven to be some of the strongest one can have, and there is no doubt that the Wylie tennis team is full of these friendships. Being able to compete with those you’ve practiced for countless hours with is an experience that these students encounter and cherish all the time. Along with this, another equally important side to the sport is shown.

“I’ve learned the significance of being gracious no matter the outcome of a match, the satisfaction of reaping the rewards of my hard work,” Connor said, “and that resilience and attention to detail can take me far. Overall, being a tennis player has been an awesome experience, and I can’t imagine life without it.” The impact tennis has had on Wylie students clearly lies beyond the trophies and accomplishments. What stays with the kids after graduating can’t be associated with anything materialistic; rather, it’s the unbreakable bonds and empowering ideals that remain with a Wylie tennis player far after their days of school remaining hit zero.