Bulldogs Earn 3rd at State for Tennis

Courtesy+of+Wylie+Tennis+Facebook+

Courtesy of Wylie Tennis Facebook

Tehzeeb Grewal, Staff Writer

As the spring season for tennis approaches an end, Wylie juniors Carly Bontke and Stealey Crousen fought hard to win bronze at the 5A state tournament held on April 26-27 in San Antonio.

It has been their second time in a row qualifying and competing at the state level, but this year was their first time playing as partners. In the previous year, Bontke had gone to state for girls’ singles while Crousen had partnered with Kindall Alford for girls’ doubles.

The doubles team first had immense success in the quarterfinals of state as they had defeated Katy Jordan’s Keerthana Hari and Ikshu Shandilya by the score of 2-0 (6-0, 6-2). They had quickly won the first set of the match while not losing a single game. Furthermore, even though they had begun the second set with only two wins out of the first four games, the Bulldogs soon caught momentum and secured the last four games needed to advance to the semifinals.

Unfortunately, the team had lost to Highland Park’s Isabella McElfresh and Eden Rogozinski, with the final score of 6-4, 6-3. Although the duo had a promising start in the first set by leading 3-2 against their opponents, they fell short, and Highland Park won four games, resulting in their ascent towards the finals.

Regardless, the juniors were appreciative of the opportunity to play at state and the experience they gained from it.

“We made it there [state], so like, that’s a big enough accomplishment in itself,” Crousen said.

The juniors still have another year of tennis, and they plan to improve upon themselves for their last season at Wylie.

“First, we have to tackle the fall season as a team,” Crousen said, “and that’s always fun. I can’t wait to play senior season. It’s crazy that it’s here already.”

“Yeah, I am going into it trying to have fun since it’s our last year,” Bontke said as well.

Photo courtesy of Abilene Wylie High School Tennis Facebook Page
Information provided by the Abilene Reporter-News