Celebrating Black History Month

Allison McCall, Staff Writer

Black History Month is a month of celebrating African American cultures, customs, and accomplishments. The story of this celebration dates back to 1926 when the ASALH (Association for the Study of African American Life and History) sponsored a week of recognizing African American culture. This recognition became a trend over the next few decades until President Gerald Ford made an official recognition of Black History Month. “Ford called upon Americans to “seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of Black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history” (History.com).

After Ford’s declaration, Black History Month continued to be nationally commemorated. After a few decades, the ASALH created a trend of establishing a theme for every year. Themes in the past have included “The Crisis in Black Education” and “The Black Family: Representation, Identity, and Diversity.” The theme for 2022 Black History Month is “Black Health and Wellness.” “The 2022 theme considers activities, rituals and initiatives that Black communities have done to be well,” states asalh.org.

Wylie High School is helping students, teachers, and staff learn more about Black History Month by reading a brief description about an African American scholar, activist, or reformer on the morning announcement. As we continue to learn more about African American culture, I hope that we can all learn to see the beauty of diversity. As Martin Luther King Jr. said, “We must learn to live together as brother and sisters or perish together as fools.”

photo credit:

Wylie High School is helping students, teachers, and staff learn more about Black History Month by reading a brief description about an African American scholar, activist, or reformer on the morning announcement. As we continue to learn more about African American culture, I hope that we can all learn to see the beauty of diversity.

As Martin Luther King Jr. said, “We must learn to live together as brother and sisters or perish together as fools.”

Photo credit goes to wustl.edu.