Wylie Students Compete In UIL This Spring

Feature image from wyliegrowl.com

UIL Academic Regional Competitors

Grace Rhodes, staff writer

After everything last year was put on halt, there was some uncertainty as to how this year would play out.  Yet, despite the many setbacks of this last year, several of our students competing in this year’s Spring UIL Academic District, Region, and State meets have found success.

The District Meet was held on March 27 at the Texas Tech Campus in Lubbock, Texas. Students Ayden Gertiser, Vincent Mercado, Sanay Salvi, Connor Brown, Mia Dole, Weston Means, Gracie Hurst, Emy Pablico, Nathan Vincent, Ariela Sarabia, Mychele DeLauney, Grace Rhodes, Emma Groves, Bonnie Horn, Kyal Corbett, Caleb Speights, Josh Mehaffey, David Deprang, Dayra Figueroa, Nicole Ransted, Carlos Balandran, Kade Killion, Mason Kerby, Melia Messer, Faith Harrel, and Wesley Horn all placed in the top six of their (or their teams’) respective events. Gertiser, Brown, Dole, Hurst, Vincent, Rhodes, Corbett, Speights, Figueroa, Salvi, Killion, Kerby, Messer, and Horn all moved on to the Region Level Meet.

The Region Meet was held on April 17 at the Texas Tech Campus in Lubbock, Texas. Students Ayden Gertiser, Vincent Mercado, Tommy Thomas, Connor Brown, Nathan Vincent, Kyal Corbett, Caleb Speights, Sanay Salvi, Timothy Varghese, Kade Killion, Melia Messer, Mason Kerby, Caleb Speights, and Wesley Horn all placed in the top six for their respective events. Gertiser, Mercado, Thomas, Brown, Vincent, Salvi, Messer, Kerby, and Horn all moved on to the State Level meet. Wylie won the regional title for Calculator Applications, Number Sense, One-Act Play, and Speech.

In lieu of a trip to the state capital Austin, the State Meet was held virtually at the high school on May 1. Ayden Gertiser placed fifth in Calculator Applications, second in Mathematics, and fourth in Number Sense.

I would like to take a moment to congratulate all of the students who participated in UIL this spring. Everyone, those who placed, and those that did not, worked extremely hard this year to overcome the circumstances and give their best shot in their respective events.