Wylie’s Christmas Drive-Thru

Mychele DeLauney, Staff writer

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your nose, Yuletide music being played by the Wylie band. Christmas is here at last, offering it’s familiar seasonal joy to wrap up an eventful 2020 year. Readily embracing the Christmas spirit, the Pure Gold Band decided to spread holiday cheer safely. The Wylie band directors opted to have a Christmas Drive-thru, where the audience viewed different ensembles from the safety of their own cars, in place of the traditional sit-down Christmas concert. 

On Thursday, December 10th, the newfangled concert brought in an astounding number of viewers, which caused a traffic jamming line that stretched on for a mile. The concert even went into overtime to accommodate for the large audience. The performance lasted from 6:00 PM to around 7:20 PM, with each group of students playing a variety of Christmas tunes as people drove past.

Photos courtesy of Michelle Lessing (Michelle Lessing)
(Michelle Lessing)
(Michelle Lessing)

The students who participated in the drive-in took out lots of time to prepare their music and special routines in order to put on an entertaining performance for the mobile audience and also win the most votes from the viewers. The directors were very proud of the student’s work and the positive effect it had on the community. Mrs. Lessing, the Wylie High School band director, affectionately stated, “I was super proud and actually really impressed because you guys [the band members] just went over the top, and it was really cool to see. You [the band members] made a lot of people smile last night whenever we really needed that.” 

For both the performers and directors, seeing the smiles of the audience at the end of the night, made all the hard work and preparation worth it.