S2S Honors Wylie’s Veterans

Katie Shaw, Staff Writer

Wylie High School has always been honored to be the home to a vast community of veterans, active service members, and military families and has in recent years proudly supported these individuals and their families through the “Student 2 Student” organization. This military-supported group is dedicated to helping military children adjust to a new environment and to showing appreciation for the service and sacrifice of a military family. This Veteran’s Day, Wylie’s S2S hosted a brunch for all high school military students and their families to thank them for all the hard work and sacrifices they have given for our country. 

S2S’ sponsor, history teacher Kendall Harrsion, says that the idea for a celebration of this sort has been an idea a long time in the making. “I had been wanting to do something more for our veterans,” she explained, “I just wanted to recognize and honor our military families and students here…I don’t know if there are many things that happen at the high school level where there’s an opportunity for students and parents to just enjoy and recognize who they are together.”  

According to Harrison, over 230 military-affiliated individuals attended the brunch, where they were served a delicious assortment of breakfast food and beverages prepared by our very own cafeteria and administration staff. 

“As a military child, I loved seeing the Wylie military community getting together for the same cause,” says S2S President Nicole Englin. “I hope that we can gain even more dedicated members and continue to make Wylie a more welcoming place for students.” 

When asked if she considers the brunch a success, Harrison said, “I do. I think it was even more so than I originally thought it would be. We plan to do it again and continue to do this. It was great.”

Wylie S2S would like to thank Wylie Student Productions, Wylie Jazz Band, Office Max, and the cafeteria and administrative staff for their help in putting together this wonderful event.