Joys of Generosity

courtesy of reporternews.com

courtesy of reporternews.com

Mattie Smith, Staff Writer

courtesy of reporternews.com

Last week, Wylie High School students raised a total of $4,318.69 for the Thanksgiving and coat drive. The money raised will be used to purchase coats for young kids and put together Thanksgiving boxes for families in the community. This year, instead of classes bringing food items from a set list, the families will choose what goes into the box. This way, they won’t get too little of what they need or too much of something they don’t like. The fact that the school raised almost $4,500 in five days is incredible, and such generosity will help out so many this holiday season.

In any aspect of life, acting out of generosity can only bring positive results. Giving, whether it be time or money or anything else, makes everyone involved feel good. The person receiving feels valued and cared for, and the person giving feels happy and satisfied with his or her actions. Besides the warm feelings associated with giving, there are actually health benefits that affect the generous person both physically and mentally. Studies described on clevelandclinic.org show that when humans give gifts, our brains secrete chemicals that make us feel happier and bonded with others. When the brain releases serotonin and dopamine, our mood changes for the better. Also, giving can lower blood pressure and stress levels. So, not only does generosity help people in need, it allows the person giving to feel happier and more self-confident.

Coming up this month, there is an opportunity to show generosity to struggling individuals in our city. Mission Thanksgiving is a partnership between Arrow Ford and Love and Care Ministries. On November 22nd, the Arrow Ford on South 1st will become a donation site to assist the homeless and poor in Abilene. Families are encouraged to bring clothes, shoes, blankets, food, and hygiene items to be distributed to those in need. Also, money donations will support Love and Care’s soup kitchen that is open five days a week. This event, which began in 1999, is able to provide necessities for so many people in our city. This time of year can be especially difficult for those struggling to make end’s meet, and the generosity of people with a giving attitude can make it a little bit brighter.