The Unsung Heroes of Wylie High School

Katie Shaw, Staff Writer

Every day, thousands of students tread the hallways of Wylie High School, their shoulders burdened only by their heavy backpacks while, beyond their study-focused tunnel vision, the entirety of the school is held up tirelessly by hardworking, underappreciated staff members. Though most understandably find it difficult to appreciate a place they are required to attend so early every morning, there are dozens of heroes that make it the best, brightest place it can be. The Unsung Heroes of Wylie High School are these never-ceasing, never-complaining faculty who often don’t get the recognition or appreciation they deserve for their tireless commitment to making the school a better place and the students and staff happy. I got the pleasure to speak to a few of them about their superpowers and how we as the student body can lend a hand. 

MIGHTY LOUIS (BOSS-MAN)

You might have heard of this famous custodial staff member; he’s beloved by staff and students alike for his considerate work and dedication. 

Superpowers: Has been keeping the halls and classrooms of Wylie High squeaky clean for 6 years

His Mission:

• Arrives at school at 6 (Six a.m.!) to turn on all of the lights on campus and get the school ready for teachers and students to arrive. 
  • Flies through the school to see what teachers are in need of a hand in order to “accomplish what they need to do”. 

What can students do to help this hero?

“A lot of times a lot of students will forget to pick up their trash from their tables and stuff which slows us down to try to get our job done. So the biggest thing is just to make sure they pick up after themselves during lunch and after lunch.”

What to know about your hero: 

“When I try to speak to them [the students] it’s not because I’m trying to be nosy or whatever. It’s because i just want to be able to show them that if anybody needs to talk or whatever, I am here. No matter what you’re going through, it’s not as bad as you think it is. “

JENNA AND BERTHA: THE ULTIMATE LUNCH DUO

Jenna is a three-year veteran of Wylie High School while Bertha is new to this campus! Say hello to these two amazing and kind ladies if you see them at lunch!

Superpowers: These two amazing ladies tackle the crucial job of providing all the students delicious meals to eat every day. 

Their Mission: These super staff members prepare breakfast and lunch and stock all the goods for students to have good food during the day, as well as man the registers and check-out the students.

What to know about your heroes:

“We work hard. We work hard to make sure every student has a good meal.”

“Even if they don’t have money, they can always come and eat.” 

HELPFUL MRS.HUCKABEE

A brand new hero on the scene: Helpful Mrs. Huckabee! You can find her in the counselor’s office if your last name begins with P-Z!

Superpower: Handles the behind-the-scenes paperwork and duties to upkeep the students’ well-being and is always “there for the kids”. 

Her Mission: “It just depends on what’s going on. Y’all are the most important to me, but there’s always something in the background that we have to do, paperwork and yucky stuff that we don’t like to do. The part I look most forward to is talking to the kids.”

What Students can do to help this hero: “It’s so encouraging to see y’all. The biggest thing is just to communicate with us. It makes my day when I see you.”

What to know about your hero: 

“I’m just really happy to be here. I just really am. It’s a great place, and there’s so many great people. I’m just grateful.”

So the next time you see one of these, or another hero, on campus, be sure to say hello and thank them for all the hard work they do for us.