Lady Bulldogs Excel Under New Coach

Kaylee Beard, Staff Writer

Congratulations to the 2018-2019 Lady Bulldog Basketball team on a successful season. The team welcomed new head coach Amy Powell. This season was Coach Powell’s fifteenth career season with an overall record of 334-133 through her first fourteen. The team returned eight varsity letterman. Unfortunately, the Lady Bulldogs lost in double overtime to Plainview in the opening round of the playoffs.

This year’s team consisted of nine seniors, five juniors, three sophomores, and one freshmen. Seniors Abbey Henson, Mary Lovelace, and Skylar Williams started for the team last season and led the charge this season as well. The team’s new 5A district included Abilene Cooper, Wichita Falls High, Wichita Falls Rider, and Aledo. The Lady Bulldogs finished district six and two, losing only to Aledo.

The team earned the two seed coming out of district. Unfortunately, the Lady Bulldogs ran into a tough opponent in the Plainview Bulldogs. The bi-district match up was tight the entire game. Wylie’s own Bailey Roberts had a game high 17 points which helped send the game to overtime. Plainview ended up pulling ahead in overtime to overpower the Bulldogs 48-42.

Next year’s team will return several experienced players from this season. The Lady Bulldogs have a great chance of excelling even farther into the postseason next year with the first year of 5A contest under their belt. There is a bright future ahead for the Lady Bulldogs under head coach Powell.

All photos courtesy of Madi Owen.