Cody Hodges Makes an Impact

Cody Hodges Makes an Impact

Maddie Cole, Staff Writer

Cody Hodges, devout Christian, motivational speaker, and former NFL player, recently visited Wylie High School. Cody was originally contacted to speak on behalf of Rachel’s Challenge, a program that strives to make schools “safer, more connected places where bullying and violence are replaced with kindness and respect” (rachelschallenge.org) last year. Heavily influenced by the message that he had to share, WHS staff decided to invite him back this year to speak to new students and freshman.

Life at Hereford High School 
Hodges was born in Amarillo, but raised in Hereford, TX. He attended Hereford High School, where he was a 4-year letterman in football and a standout in basketball. Over the course of his four years at HHS, Hodges accumulated a 22-4 record as starting quarterback, accounted for 70 touchdown passes and 6,500 passing yards, and ran for 30 touchdowns. He was given many titles, some of which include: two-time 3-4A District MVP, Amarillo Globe-News Newcomer of the Year as a freshman, junior, and senior, All-South Plains Player of the Year in 2000, and ranked as one of the top 100 quarterbacks in the nation in 1999.

College and Professional Career
Hodges’ many accomplishments earned him scholarship offers from multiple Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) schools. He ended up attending Texas Tech and played under coach Mike Leach. While he made his career debut against Baylor University as a red-shirt Freshman, Hodges is most well-known for earning the starting Quarterback job for the 2005 season. He led the Raiders on a game-winning streak, losing only to the eventual national championship winners- the Texas Longhorns. Hodges finished the regular season as first in the nation in passing, making him the fourth Texas Tech QB in a row to do so. He finished his career at Tech completing 360 of 543 attempts, giving him 4,308 yards with 33 passing touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

In 2006, Hodges went on to be signed by the Tennessee Titans and then as the quarterback for the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz. He was traded in 2007 to the Fort Wayne Fusion, but he was unfortunately forced to end his season due to injury. Despite a successful AFL career, Hodges retired from playing Football in 2008.

Involvement with Rachel’s Challenge
After viewing a presentation from Rachel’s Challenge, Hodges was inspired to join the organization as a speaker at the age of 20. With his football career coming to an end, he joined Rachel’s Challenge as a full-time motivational speaker, traveling frequently to smaller High Schools in rural towns across America to spread the message of how important it is to show kindness to others.

Rachel’s Challenge was created by the parents of Rachel Scott on behalf of their daughter, the first student killed in the Columbine High School shooting in 1999 and the legacy that she left behind. Through Rachel’s Challenge, Hodges is able to convey to parents, students, and community members the importance of showing acceptance, inclusion, and compassion.

When asked why he shares Rachel’s story, Hodges answers, “I love sharing Rachel’s message because it reaches all people. No matter what makes us different as people….beliefs, skin color, etc., Rachel’s message is bigger than all of that. At the end of the day, we all want to be treated the same way…We all want people to be kind to us, reach out to us, stand up for us, and show us compassion. Rachel’s message embodies this idea and she gives us the example to follow.”

Wylie High School would like to give a big thank you to Cody Hodges as well as the entire Rachel’s Challenge staff for how they have impacted our community.