• May 14The end of the year is soon approaching! Check with your teachers to make sure you have all your work and see if you're exempt from finals!

• May 14There will be an end-of-the-year band concert Tuesday, May 15th in the PAC!

• May 14Come see the Wylie Choirs perform in their Pop Concert in the Performing Arts' Center tonight at 7 p.m.

All-State Success in Choir and Band

Graphic Created by Leah Fikes

Graphic Created by Leah Fikes

Graphic Created by Leah Fikes

Leah Fikes, Editor

This year both the band and the choir went through the Texas All-State process to find the best players and vocalists in the state. Jessica Moody on clarinet, Kaitlyn Cox on flute, and Trinity Miller on trumpet made the All-State Band, and Emy Pablico made second soprano in the All-State Choir.

Both choir and band All-State roads are similar. Both have several rounds which narrow down competition and bring the better vocalists and musicians together. The band All-State process makes player play two different pieces and scales, and the choir All-State process has the participants sing many different pieces including those in foreign languages such as Latin, Italian, and French.

“The All-State process took a lot of time,” Pablico said. “But it was worth it though in the long run.”

The students who go through the All-State process have to practice more than most choir and band students. Both Pablico and Miller are freshman and felt the pressure though the process.

“[Making it as a freshman] is nice but it adds pressure for next year because next year we will have way harder music and way better people,” Miller said. “I think I can make it though. [This process] tells me I’ve worked harder than the rest of the freshmen.”

Cox also made the All-State Band last year. Her experience through the process was a little different because of this.

“I was really looking forward to playing with the band,” Cox said. “You go to a great convention and meet people who share your interests.”

The All-State members go to the TMEA conference (Texas Music Educators Asscociation), and their concert is there. Directors from all over the state attend TMEA every year.

“It was amazing to play with the most elite players in the state,” Moody said. “Also the convention was really cool. I wish I had tried out sooner than senior year.”

The All-State process is rewarding for these students and helps them validate that they are some of the best players in the state. It may seem difficult, but for Pablico it is worth it.

“Before I started the All-State process, I was considering leaving choir, but my directors pushed me to keep working on it,” Pablico said. “There were so many people there [at TMEA] with such a great appreciation, dedication, and love for music that it revived my love for music.”