• October 15Don your capes and call your sidekick for Superhero dress-up day this Wednesday!

• October 15Get out your antennas for Alien Spirit day this Tuesday!

• October 1Homecoming week is October 15th through the 19th and will be wrapped up with the Homecoming game on Friday!

Artsy Fartsy

photo+courtesy+of+Missy+Huffines+
photo courtesy of Missy Huffines

photo courtesy of Missy Huffines

photo courtesy of Missy Huffines

Mattie Smith, Staff Writer

In the dictionary, art is defined as “the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination.” For some people, art is greater than that; it’s a vital part of life. As an emotional outlet and way to physicalize life’s beauty, drawing is more than a hobby for many. Melissa (Missy) Huffines is one of those people.

Missy has been an artist for as long as she can remember. She began art classes at Wylie in 10th grade but has always been passionate about expressing herself through her creativity. Missy says that she can’t see her life without art. “I am always trying to improve technique, work through problems, and capture the beauty of life how I see it on paper.” Missy strives to increase the appreciation of art in today’s society. After all, without certain types of artists, things like trendy clothing and social media applications would not exist.

It takes courage to pursue art when it is oftentimes seen as no more than a hobby. Local artists have many challenges that precede reward. According to Missy, “…they are risking a lot just to get what they love out in the world. It is hard putting money in a place where you don’t always know if it will come back to profit you.” It’s important to support local artists, and a great opportunity for Abilenians to do that is going downtown for an art showcase starting May 10th at Cockerell Art Galleries!

Artists hold a unique place in society. At Wylie, the Art Club is an organization that celebrates that uniqueness. Students in Art Club do fun projects and enjoy each other’s creativity. In fact, this weekend they are going on their annual Fort Worth trip to visit museums and the Japanese Botanical Gardens. These students inspire others through their passion, and the school is very proud of Missy and all of our artists for their dedication to making the world a more beautiful place.