ACU Sing Song 2018

Katie Shaw, Staff Writer

Sing Song is a tradition at Abilene Christian University dating back to 1957 that celebrates the creativity and talent of its students and social clubs. It draws a gathering of groups and individuals from all parts of the world, totaling over 10,000 in attendance each year. “I love Sing Song. I love the excitement, the craziness, the creativity, and the emotion. I loved it when I saw my first show as a seventh grader; I loved it as a student when we ran from our Optimist production lab to Senior Class practice, and I’ve loved it as a director bringing together students from all corners of campus to create something seemingly larger than life itself,” says Tom Craig, director of Student Organizations and Productions, in a “From the Director” note in a Sing Song print. From this came the theme of Sing Song 2018: “For the love of Sing Song”.

Though the program is primarily about the social clubs and their performances they’ve spent hours rehearsing and brainstorming for, an incredible amount of hands are required to make Sing Song what it is. Countless Tech producers, vocal coaches, house helpers, graphics teams, krewe, musicians, and more are all crucial parts of producing Sing Song as smoothly and wonderfully as possible.

After hearing all the hype about Sing Song, I figured I had to go and see for myself if it was really so amazing, a decision I do not regret in the slightest. Sing Song was a truly amazing spectacle of creativity and family that I would recommend to anybody who lives within the continental U.S. My experience began with a sea of people snaking around Moody Coliseum buying shirts or finding their friends and family members they were seeing the show with. I was offered help by so many kind, purple-clad students that it was impossible not to instantly feel welcomed. As I settled into my seat, the show began with a number by the hosts and hostesses, who also performed in between each act so as to give the clubs time to set up and get into place then take down their sets and exit. Though I grew to somewhat tire of their songs after a point, I couldn’t deny how incredibly talented they were. I was amazed by how beautifully a group of 6 ACU students could sing and belt their vocal chords out. Additionally, the couple of background dancers I enjoyed watching made a wonderful compliment and were equally as talented.

But of course, what really made Sing Song the fantastic spectacle it was was ACU’s Social Clubs. I never thought I would have witnessed groups of singing ducks, dancing Marios, and chanting Whataburger signs, all composed of Abilene college students. I’m still so amazed by the incredible creativity these groups had to have had to come up with such wonderful dance routines, lyrics, costumes, and sets. Each group was so different and unique, and anyone could tell the students had poured their hearts and time into perfecting their performances.

However, the most awe-inspiring performance was at the close of the show, when all the students and group gathered together in risers above the audience and, arm and arm, sang a traditional ACU hymn. This was the part I took home with me: every competing group singing the same song together as a family, showing love for something other than the competition.

All in all, I would recommend ACU’s Sing Song to every single person who reads this. I truly believe that a more funny, entertaining, heartwarming show simply does not exist.