Students Get First Glimpse of New Performing Arts Center

Anna Claire Boone, Staff Writer

(Video tour of the new performing arts center above.)
Two weeks ago, Wylie’s 2018 one-act cast took a tour of the new performing arts center. Led by Mr. Christopher Shoemake, Wylie’s theater director, and Ms. Landry Thompson, the current student teacher, the students got a first glimpse of their soon-to-be-home. The theater department and choir department are scheduled to move into the space permanently in a few weeks.

In the video, the cast giddily takes in the clean, chic design of the blackbox theater, the dressing rooms – there was particular excitement upon entering this room – the tech booth, the choir room, and, of course, the stage. The theater students were overjoyed with the modern technology and organization of the booth and backstage which are both a major update convenience-wise in comparison to having to rent out local theaters as they have in the past. They reveled in the spacious auditorium and commented on the sleek layout of, specifically, the ceilings which “looks like shredded cheese” according to Wylie junior and one-act member Anna Javins.

The theater department’s first performance in the new auditorium will be a home showing of the 2018 one-act competition play The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Check in to the Wylie Paw Print website in the next few weeks for more information on that show.