Wylie Alumni Returns As A Student Teacher

Maddie Cole, Staff Writer

Student teachers have been helping out in classrooms worldwide for many decades now. The student teaching experience allows one to put everything that they have learned about education and their subject matter into action. Student teachers get to test the waters under the supervision of an experienced teacher who can guide them along and help them become the kind of teacher that they want to be.

Wylie has once again started off a new semester with a new group of student teachers. In order to learn more about their experiences in the classroom, I have interviewed Samantha Gallion, one of the student teachers who attends Hardin Simmons University.

Gallion is a Wylie alumni and when asked who inspired her to become a teacher, she proudly explained that it was in fact her history teachers throughout her years as a Wylie student. “I actually had Coach Elliot when I was in junior high followed by Mrs. Bundy (who she is student teaching for while she spends her time here back at the high school). When I came up to the High School, I had amazing teachers such as Mrs. Harrison who made history super fun and interesting.”

One of the things that Gallion has enjoyed about her student teaching experience has been her interactions with the students. “While I don’t know many of my students personally, I do know what the majority of them like and dislike, as well as what helps them learn.” She went on to explain that it has been fascinating to see how intelligent and hard-working her students are.

Gallion will be graduating from Hardin Simmons on May 12 with a bachelor’s degree in behavioral science in social studies composite. This will allow her to teach any history class in the 7th-12th grade. She is looking forward to where the future leads her, whether it may be staying in town, or leaving Abilene to pursue her teaching career.