Wylie Arts’ Christmas Caring

Katie Shaw, Cotton-headed Ninny Muggin

“The best way to spread Christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear.” -Buddy the elf.

As the holiday season closes in on Wylie High School, the arts programs take it upon themselves to spread holiday joy. Though many students and families are already beginning to feel the holiday spirit, this time of year can be less joyous and magical for those in hospitals or nursing homes. Thus spurs Wylie Performing Arts’ dedication for all to feel holiday cheer. The Jazz Band and Show Choir have spent the past few weeks rehearsing and performing pieces to play at Hendricks Hospital, local nursing homes, and Wylie Elementary School while the theatre department gathers groups of actors to read Christmas stories to children at the Elementary School.

Joseph Rubio, a sophomore in the Jazz Band, described his experience at Hendricks Hospital. “We set up in the lobby, and we just played some Christmas tunes for people passing by and sitting in the lobby. I felt like I was in one of those movies where people gather around and start singing. There was a crowd around us, and it felt nice because I saw a smile on all their faces.” The Jazz Band also made a trip to Wylie Elementary School. Joseph continues, “Playing for the 1st and 2nd graders was fun too because all the kids would sing along to the songs.” Christmas performances like these are an annual tradition for the Wylie Jazz Band and will hopefully remain that way for years to come.

Hendricks Hospital also featured another one of Wylie’s talented performing arts’ groups: the Show Choir, who performs songs like “Mary Did You Know”, “Sleigh Ride”, and “I heard the bells on Christmas Day”. “It means a lot because I get to bring some sort of happiness to someone,” said Katelyn Walker, a sophomore in Show Choir. “When we sang at a nursing home, we heard that it was a lady’s birthday, so we all sang her ‘Happy Birthday’. It made her so happy, and it was super cute.” Show Choir will be continuing their spread of holiday cheer this Wednesday when they tour nursing homes in Abilene with their Christmas caroling.

Wylie’s Theatre department also wants to pitch into the holiday cheer this year. Mr. Shoemake plans on taking his theatre 2 classes to the elementary school to read Christmas books to the children. This is the first year the theatre department has done this, and it hopes to make it a long-lasting tradition.

“Bye Buddy. Hope you find your dad!” -Mr.NarwhalWylie Show Choir doing rounds of Christmas Grams.