The Elemental Life of Mrs. Speer

Snigdha Dasireddy, staff writer

Mrs. Speer, a chemistry and biology teacher at Wylie, has had quite the astounding life. She graduated from Cooper High School and had originally planned on becoming a doctor, but having been convinced otherwise by a loved one, Mrs. Speer decided to become a teacher. 

She received her teaching degree from the University of Texas at Austin, and started teaching at Barbara Jordan School of Fine Arts in 1976. This school, having a rigorous curriculum, taught Mrs. Speer to be a challenging teacher. After teaching five years at this school, Mrs. Speer felt something was missing in her life, a portion unfulfilled. She decided to go back to school to pursue a degree in geology. Speer realized after a prolonged 14 years that Geology, although it was a subject she loved, was just not a career that made her happy. “I missed teaching. I missed school and the kids,” she said. Thus, she moved back to her hometown Abilene to teach at Cooper High School. She loved teaching at Cooper, and it will always hold a dear place in her heart, but it just didn’t feel right – it wasn’t Wylie. 

Mrs. Speer has been teaching at Wylie for 27 years. She has taught a variety of courses ranging from Integrated Physics and Chemistry (IPC), Chemistry, Pre- AP Chemistry, and AP Biology. Her talent in chemistry and her love for biology has shone through in her teaching, inspiring and challenging students beyond the years of high school. Many students have contacted her after graduation to thank her for the influential effect her teaching has bestowed. This will sadly be her last year teaching, retiring after 32 years. We offer her our thanks after making such a large impact on the students at Wylie High School.