Running for Gold

Photo courtesy of Jill Teague

Kobe George, Staff Writer

The Wylie Cross Country team saw great team and individual success in their 2018 fall season. The team is coached by Jacob Balleza,who also teaches and coaches at the junior high. This is his first year coaching the team after Manuel Cordova, previous cross country and girls’ soccer coach, took a new position at Little Elm High School.

District was held at the Athletic Performance Ranch in Fort Worth on October 11th. The Wylie Girls’ Cross Country Team took home the gold at the district meet with four teammates placing in the top ten. Junior Abbie Gollihar also won the District Championship at the district meet with a time of 21 minutes and 4.9 seconds, finishing thirty seconds ahead of third place. This is Abbie’s first year competing in cross country at the high school level, and she hopes to see even more success her senior year.

In addition to Abbie’s striking performance, Marianna Deynzer placed fourth with a time of 21:50, Madison Latham placed 9th with a time of 22:15 and Avery Stephenson-Waller placed tenth coming in at 23:31.

The boys’ team also had an outstanding performance at the district meet coming in at third place. Sophomore Victor Charo individually placed fourth with a time of 17 minutes and 14 seconds.

Both teams competed at the Region I-5A Meet in Mae Simmons Park in Lubbock on October 28th but ended their season there on a great run. Many team members are grateful for being apart of the experience and hope to continue improving.

“Cross Country was a very good experience for me. I did it to help get in shape for basketball season, and it has definitely helped me tremendously. Some mornings were difficult getting up so early, but in the end, I am glad that I did it and am very thankful for the new friendships I established,” said junior Grace Steadman. Gollihar agreed and is also thankful for the benefits cross country had in preparing her for basketball season.

Both boys and girls saw great improvement throughout the season and had a well deserved season. Seniors will miss the early mornings spent together with the team but are excited for what is to come for the team. Congratulations to Coach Balleza and all cross country members for their terrific season.