• December 10Semester Finals begin next week.

• December 3Wylie High School's choirs will be performing in their Christmas Concert on Monday, December 17th.

The Future of Student to Student

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Future of Student to Student

The tailgate held for the first football game. Courtesy of Maddison Cole.

Transferring to a new school isn’t always the most pleasant experience. New surroundings, new teachers, and new curriculum are all problems that come with switching schools. But having to find new friends is probably what most people dread above all when going to a new school. In an effort to aid new students in whatever struggles they may face, many schools, Wylie included, having been setting up a Student to Student program. S2S (Student to Student) is a new and unique way to assist students throughout all grades with any questions or issues that they may have at their new schools. They can help with things as simple as how to get around the school to having a place to sit during lunch.

Anna Javins, Enrico Lorenzo, and Grace Taylor outside the Capitol in Washington D.C. during their trip. Photo courtesy of Anna Javins.

Wylie’s own S2S has gone beyond just helping new students adjust to our school. Our three officers, Anna Javins, Grace Taylor, and Nicole Englin have all taken on various community service projects in an attempt to give back this school year. Anna is heading an effort to encourage recycling around the school; Grace is leading a year long force working to include the students taking life skills further into our school; Nicole has taken over a project from former officer Enrico to aid in the Veteran’s Day parade. Anna, Grace, and Enrico were all inspired to undertake these projects after a conference they had the opportunity to attend over this past summer. The conference, held at the National Geographic head quarters, hosted a guest speaker who enlightened students from all across America on ways to speak with people on different struggles they may be going through. He also reminded students that they are much more than just the grades they make. Anna also says, “The other schools provided us with such great ideas that we hope to implement one day,” so the future of S2S is planning to expand even further than what they are this year.

While supporting new students is the primary goal of S2S, the members of the group try to go above and beyond the surface level. Joining S2S opens a gateway of many opportunities, some of which could even benefit you later on in life. Sign ups have been closed for this year, but if you’re ever interested in helping, keep an eye out for registrations at the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year!