Track Goes All The Way

Kylor Aguilar- courtesy of Reporternews.com

Kaylee Beard, Staff Writer

This year’s varsity track team was very successful. The team won first place at district and had twenty individuals and five relay teams qualify to go to area. The girls area qualifiers participated in long and short distance running events, hurdles, high jump, pole vault, and relays. The area qualifiers on the boys side competed in long and short distance running events, hurdles, shot put, long jump, triple jump, and relays.

After area was completed the Bulldogs were able to send fifteen competitors and four relay teams to regionals. The team was able to compete in fifteen different events at regionals. The Bulldogs had seven athletes finish with personal records at regionals.

The final step after regionals is state, and the Bulldogs had four individuals and one relay team qualify. Junior Leandra Benton finished fifth in the 800 meters. Senior Gatlin Martin finished eighth in the 300 meter hurdles. Junior Madison Latham earned fifth in the 300 meter hurdles, and freshman Kylor Aguilar placed second in the pole vault.

The girls four by 400 meter relay team placed third in the state. The team consisted of sophomore Abbigayle Gollihar, juniors Leandra Benton and Abbey Henson, and senior Brianna Douglas.

This year’s team had several experienced seniors that will be missed, but their are several young faces that have a bright future in this program.