• April 16Wylie's One Act Play is advancing to State! They will be competing on April 23rd. Wish them luck!

• April 16Come watch the Wylie Belles' Greatest Show on April 20th! Tickets are only $5.

• March 19There will be no school April 27th for an unused bad weather day.

Golfing for Gold

Photos courtesy of Maddi Olson

Photos courtesy of Maddi Olson

Photos courtesy of Maddi Olson

Kobe George, Staff Writer

The Wylie Lady Varsity Golf team has been off to great start for the current seas0n. The team won district last year, and this achievement motivates the ladies to continue their success this year. Team members consist of Kaitlyn Harbin (senior), Arin Zachary (junior), Brylee Valentine (junior), Andrea Davis (junior), and Maddi Olson (sophomore.) This article focuses on Maddi Olson and her major contribution to the team.

Olson had messed around at driving ranges and knew the basics as a kid, but she did not start seriously playing golf until she was eleven. “I started playing mainly because my dad thought I would be pretty good at it,” Olson commented. “I had played almost every other sport by then, so at that point I was kind of thinking ‘Why not?'”

She joined the Wylie Lady Varsity Golf team as a freshman and had immediate success. As a freshman, Olson won the 4A State Champion Title. Olson said that this achievement raised her personal standards and has established goals for her down the road. She hopes to “go two for two” and win state again this year.

Being on the golf team has impacted Olson not only in her golf abilities but in many of her close friendships and relationships. “Frankly, joining golf was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I have met some of my best friends on the team, and they are my biggest support system.” The team’s tight chemistry has helped the team reach their highest potential and has created long lasting friendships along the way.

Olson plans on continuing her golf career after high school. She has already verbally committed to play golf at Southern Methodist University and hopes to go on to the Ladies’ Professional Golf Association after that.

The Ladies’ Golf team is currently competing at District, and both the team and Olson are in first place with a large lead. The team shot one of their best scores- a 319- at the first round of District, and Olson shot a 64 which was a course record. They played well in the second round, maintaining their hefty lead. The team goes on to compete the third round of District on April 9th at the Sweetwater Country Club. Good luck to Olson and the rest of the Ladies’ Golf Team!

Wylie Ladies’ Varsity Golf Team