• May 14The end of the year is soon approaching! Check with your teachers to make sure you have all your work and see if you're exempt from finals!

• May 14There will be an end-of-the-year band concert Tuesday, May 15th in the PAC!

• May 14Come see the Wylie Choirs perform in their Pop Concert in the Performing Arts' Center tonight at 7 p.m.

The Sparks of Tomorrow

People+gathered+to+mourn+the+loss+of+the+seventeen+victims+from+Parkland%3B+courtesy+of+wnyc.org+
People gathered to mourn the loss of the seventeen victims from Parkland; courtesy of wnyc.org

Katalina Velez, Staff Writer

The Fuse

Virginia Tech; Sandy Hook; Orlando; Las Vegas; Sutherland Springs. Although public shootings account for a small percentage of gun-related deaths in America, they hold a unique stigma not found in any other gun-related violence. People have found that after every one of these tragedies, there seems to be a cycle: thoughts and prayers by those who lean right and promises of change by those who lean left; a Twitter moment about what has happened pitting thousands against each other. This same cycle was witnessed again not even two months into this new year.

The Match

On February 14, 2018, former student Nikolas Cruz opened fire on Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, killing seventeen and injuring seventeen more. Many were left wondering why. Some placed blame on the Promise program that allowed Cruz to get away with multiple crimes and have no record to show for it. Others thought it was the FBI’s failure to follow through with two separate tips pertaining to Cruz. One student did a thorough investigation and found that Broward County had put aside around 100 million dollars for school safety and only used around 5%. And of course, thousands pointed immediately to gun control, leading to one of the biggest attempts at reform the nation has ever seen.

The Fire

A visit with President Trump; a March for Our Lives advocacy in Washington D.C.; a school walkout organized nationwide. These are the fruits of the Parkland students efforts to push for gun reform. Students like David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez have utilized our social media-driven age to boost their cause but have been met by some resistance. Their harsh criticism of some politicians and organizations like the NRA have caused them to be the centre of much controversy. People like Laura Ingraham have even found themselves with repealed sponsorships for comments made on the students. But the students have also found many rallying to their support, with many adults making vows to vote for officeholders who pledge reform, and some parents of victims running for a place on the Broward County school board.

The Ash

Should the Promise program be allowed to continue? Should Congress do away the NRA? These questions and many more are being asked as the chaos dies down. While it is obvious that some change needs to be made, conversations still must be had as to what the best modification may be. While events like this are tragic, sometimes they are just what the world needs to spark beneficial discussion.