The Wylie Boys Head into District 5-4A

Photo courtesy of Reporternews.com

Victoria Lipps, Staff Writer

The boys varsity basketball team has played a strong season so far with 8 straight wins and an overall record of 21-3. The boys easily dominated the first game of district by scoring the first 14 points of the game against Snyder. As predicted, the Bulldogs achieved an outstanding win with an ending score of 76-31. Two players that have helped lead the boys to success are Kyle Roberts and Dylan Isenhower. The Bulldogs won against a nationally recognized team, North Crowley, with an ending score of 66-59 and Isenhower scoring 18 points and Roberts scoring 15. The Bulldogs continued their success during theĀ  district game against the Sweetwater Mustangs on their home court with an ending score of 76-45. On January 26, the boys dominated Big Spring with a win of 80-45. It looks like they are on their way to a district champions.

“The game against North Crowley was a huge win for us, and it helped us boost our confidence for the upcoming games. It gave us a lot of momentum to play such a widely recognized team and to come out on top,” Roberts said.

There are eight senior boys on the varsity team this year and due to the many years of playing basketball together, the boys have developed a tight-knit bond while playing basketball. Some credit can be given to the head coach Gregg Ruffin for being a part of their basketball careers throughout high school.

“Coach Ruffin sacrifices his free time for us, which we really appreciate. He guides our abilities in the right direction during the games, and the team is grateful to have him as a coach,” Roberts said.

The Bulldogs have been quite successful during their non-district games. Since the beginning of district, the boys have been eyeing their ultimate goal of the season.

“Our ultimate goal this season is to try our best to push through to the state championships especially for the senior varsity players this year. It would be a great way to end the last season for us, and we definitely have a good chance,” Roberts said.

Photo courtesy of Google Images