Wylie’s Blithe Spirit

Courtesy of stageagent.com

Courtesy of stageagent.com

Tory Lipps, Staff Writer

On Saturday, December 16, Wylie Theater held a performance in the cafeteria called Blithe Spirit: An Improbable Farce. In 1945, the comedy play was created by Noel Coward in only five days. It brought light humor during a time of depression as World War II was raging on. Although some critics believed that it was making fun of death at the height of the war, the play set box-office records.

The play is about how a distrustful novelist, Charles Condomine, asks a famous medium, Madame Arcati, to his home for a séance  in hopes to find new material for his upcoming new book. But, the unfortunate medium summons a spirit later known as Condomine’s wife, Elvira. His life is turned upside while his wife torments Condomine and his new wife, Ruth. In fact, Elvira even tries to kill Condomine in an attempt for him to be with her in the after life. Instead, Ruth falls into Elvira’s trap and is killed in a car crash. This event caused more affliction to Condomine’s life as his two wives haunt him until the medium tries to get rid of them for good.

Eric Evans played the main character, Charles Condomine, which was a witty act with his humorous babble back and forth between his two wives. He is perceived as a sophisticated, debonair interested in the after life. Anna Javins was Condomine’s second wife, Ruth Condomine, in which she displayed her intelligence and sophistication while being a society matron. Maddie Davis was Charles’ dead wife, Elvira Condomine. Davis portrayed her character as a beautiful, young woman who dearly misses Charles in her life. She acted as a concerned wife hoping to free Condomine from his madness. Anisha Moolupuri played a local medium named Madame Arcati. Although the other characters are skeptical of her gift, they later find out that she is no fraud. Ashley Fenton played Edith, who is the Condomine’s servant. She becomes a central character when she reveals her psychic powers as she calls Elvira back from the dead. George and Violet Bradman were played by Will Ochs and Maria Labiran, who are the loyal friends of the Condomines.

The Wylie Theater cast gave an enthusiastic performance for their audience. The play’s setting was perfectly executed by the set crew and it was quite revealing that they all worked hard to make this play perfect. Personally, I was delighted to attend and watch fellow students do what they have a passion for.